Immerse yourself in the culture of the local Quechua weaving communities and experience trekking with llamas as our ancestors did. Enjoy amazing views of the magnificent mountains, beautiful lakes and herds of llamas and alpacas. On the third day, join the classic 4-day Inca Trail at the impressive archaeological site Wiñay Wayna, one of the most beautiful archeological sites on the entire classic Inca Trail. Continue on the Inca Trail to the famous Sun Gate (Inti Punku) for a magnificent first view of Machu Picchu without crowds and to enjoy the sunset. On the last day enjoy more of the mysterious Inca City Machu Picchu.
- Personalized service from beginning to end
- Experience trekking with llamas as our ancestors did
- Magnificent mountain views, beautiful lakes, alpaca and llama herds
- Immerse yourself in the culture of the local Quechua people
- Enter Machu Picchu through the Sun Gate to enjoy Machu Picchu at sunset
- Return at sunrise to explore Machu Picchu
Details of the Trekking with Llamas to Lares itinerary
DAY 1: TREKKING WITH LLAMAS TO AURORAY COCHA
We will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco at 5:30am to drive through the famous Sacred Valley of the Incas in our private van. We continue driving to Yanahuara- Ensifera Camp (3300m / 10,826ft), the starting point of the trek where we are going to have breakfast and while we are having breakfast, we will be able to see some species of birds from the surrounding area. We will walk up through the Mantanay Valley toward Misky Uno (3650m / 11,975ft), enjoying spectacular views of the mountains, native vegetation of polylepis and streams fed by lakes and waterfalls along the way. We will stop for a delicious cooked meal beside one of the streams. As we continue walking, we will enjoy views of llamas and alpacas grazing along the trail. The scenery is typical of the high Andes. After ascending by the first beautiful lake, Yuraq Cocha, we reach another lake, Auroray Cocha (4480m / 14,698ft), where our camp will be set for the night.
- Trekking distance: 10 km / 6.21 miles
- Campsite altitude: 4150 m / 14,698 ft
DAY 2: TREKKING WITH LLAMAS TO PATACANCHA COMMUNITY
After breakfast, we walk gradually up to the top of Huayruruyoc pass (4600m / 15,091ft). From the pass there are magnificent views of the lake and surrounding mountains. We continue our way down, walking by another beautiful lake where we can observe several species of birds until we arrive at Patacancha community (3650m / 11,975ft) where we will have lunch and spend the night. Patacancha is the home of native Quechua speaking families who are dedicated to agriculture and pasturing llamas and alpacas as our ancestors did. After lunch we will immerse ourselves in the culture and daily life of the families and learn about their traditional weaving techniques.
- Trekking distance: 7 km / 7.45 miles
- Campsite altitude: 3650 m / 11,975 ft
DAY 3: INCA TRAIL TO MACHU PICCHU
After an early breakfast, we will take our private transportation to the train station at Ollantaytambo to travel by train to Km 104, the starting point of the hike. We will walk gradually upward for about 4 hours to the Inca site Wiñay Wayna (2650m / 8694ft). This is an impressive archaeological site that includes an agricultural center with numerous terraces, urban and religious sectors. On the way up, there are magnificent views of the Urubamba River valley and Inca sites. After exploring Wiñay Wayna, we continue to the Sun Gate (2720m / 8923ft) to have the first panoramic view of Machu Picchu and have some time to enjoy the mysterious Inca city at sunset. Then we will descend to Machu Picchu and take the bus down to Aguas Calientes for dinner and the night.
- Trekking distance: 10 km / 6.21 miles
- Aguas Calientes: 2040 m / 6692 ft
DAY 4: MACHU PICCHU TO CUSCO
After an early breakfast in the hotel, we will take one of the first buses back to Machu Picchu for the sunrise. We will take you to the classic spot for post card pictures. This vantage point offers terrific views of the whole complex and then we will have a three-hour guided tour of the site. During the tour, you will learn about our ancestors and visit all the most important areas of the citadel. Later, we will take the bus down to Aguas Calientes for lunch and take the train back to Ollantaytambo. Then our private transportation will take you to your hotel in Cusco.
- Total distance by bus: 6 km / 3.73 miles
- Machu Picchu altitude: 2400 m / 7874 ft
Items that are included in the tour price:
- Pre-departure briefing at your hotel
- Transportation: Private transportation in our company van from Cusco to the starting point of the trek on Day 1, from the end of the trek to Ollantaytambo train station on Day 2 and from the train station to the hotel in Cusco on Day 4. Train with spacious seats, a table and large windows for panoramic views from Ollantaytambo to Km 104 on Day 3 and from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo on Day 4. Modern, quiet bus with comfortable seats from Machu Picchu to Aguas calientes on Day 3 and round trip between Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu on Day 4.
- Accommodation: Double occupancy tents with Therm-a-rest sleeping pads (first and second nights), hotel in Aguas Calientes on the third night (based on 2 people sharing one room). Upgrade is always possible.
- Meals: 3 breakfasts, 2 lunch, box lunch (Day 3), 3 dinners. We can also provide vegetarian meals and special diets such as Gluten free and dairy free. Just let us know when you are booking what your special diet needs are and we will make it work for you.
- Entrance fees to the communities
- Entrance tickets to the Inca trail and to Machu Picchu
- Professional trilingual local guide
- Horsemen and horses to carry tents, food and cooking equipment
- llamas to carry your personal gear
- Cooking equipment, dining tent, kitchen tent (days 1 and 2)
- First aid kit and emergency oxygen bottle
- Emergency horses in case someone needs help and is not able to continue walking
Items that are not included in the tour price:
- First breakfast at Ensifera Camp (Day 1)
- Last lunch at Aguas Calientes (Day 4)
- Sleeping bag (25 US$ to rent)
- Tips and extra spending
- Ticket for Wayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain. If you would like to climb either of these mountains, please let us know when you are booking
- Price from 725 USD per person
Private tours are available and priced by party size
- Price for 2-3 guests: 1035 USD per person
- Price for 4-5 guests: 835 USD per person
- Price for 6-7 guests: 765 USD per person
- Price for 8 or more guests: 725 USD per person
WHAT WE RECOMMEND BRINGING:
- Current passport is required. If your passport expired between booking and starting your tour, bring both the old and new passports!
- Short-sleeved shirts, long-sleeved shirts, fleece, thermals, wool socks, lightweight pants, warm hat
- Small pack to carry things that you will need during the day
- Rain gear or poncho
- Hiking boots with ankle support
- Flashlight/headlamp and batteries
- Camera, film and batteries (batteries die faster in cold conditions)
- Hydrating face and body lotion
- Sun block and insect repellent
- Water bottles (Nalgene or metal ones are required, plastic bottles are not allowed)
- Toilet paper and tissues
Itinerary by Juve Travel Peru : Trekking with Llamas: Lares + 1-day Inca Trail to Machu Picchu