Trekking in Cusco. As you may know, the Andes were the cradle of many ancient civilizations, where some of them influenced the development of successive cultures, while the latter left a lasting legacy within each region.
The 2-Day Short Inca Trail is a shorter option for those who want to experience a portion of the famous Inca Trail in Peru, which culminates at the citadel of Machu Picchu. Unlike the traditional route which takes around 4 days, this shorter version focuses on covering a portion of the trail in a shorter period of time. Here is a summary of what you could expect on a 2-day Inca trail:
Short Inca Trail Itinerary 2 days
Day 1: CUSCO – OLLANTAYTAMBO TRAIN STATION – KM 104 – INCA TRAIL HIKING TO MACHU PICCHU
- The hike usually begins early in the morning from the designated starting point, such as kilometer 104 of the railway that runs from Cusco to Aguas Calientes.
- During the first day, hikers walk through beautiful landscapes, passing Incan ruins and cloud forests.
- One of the main attractions on this day is a visit to Wiñay Wayna, an impressive archaeological site with agricultural terraces and panoramic views.
- The first day of the hike is usually more challenging in terms of terrain and altitude, as hikers must ascend through the mountains.
- The hike ends in the town of Aguas Calientes, where hikers can enjoy dinner and rest at a local accommodation.
Day 2:MACHU PICCHU TOUR – STAY IN AGUAS CALIENTE OR RETURN TO CUSCO
- The second day starts early, usually before dawn, to allow time to reach Machu Picchu.
- Hikers climb the stairs to Machu Picchu or take the bus from Aguas Calientes to the archaeological site’s entrance.
- Once at Machu Picchu, visitors can enjoy a guided tour of the impressive Inca ruins, learning about their history and meaning.
- After the tour, there is free time to explore Machu Picchu on your own, take photographs and absorb the energy of the place.
- At the end of the day, hikers can choose to descend to Aguas Calientes on foot or take the bus back, depending on their preferences.
- Many travelers choose to spend the night in Aguas Calientes again or return to Cusco by train.
It is important to note that the 2-day Inca Trail is a faster option but equally challenging in terms of terrain and altitude. It is essential to be well prepared physically and mentally, as well as to bring the appropriate equipment for the hike. In addition, advance reservations are required, since the number of people who can enter the Inca Trail is limited and it is necessary to have an authorized guide.
included in 2-day Inca Trail tours
- Pre-Tour Briefing: Your adventure begins with a comprehensive pre-tour briefing hosted at your hotel. Here, you’ll receive essential information, safety guidelines, and an opportunity to address any questions you may have.
- Private Transportation: Enjoy the convenience of private transportation from Cusco to the Ollantaytambo train station, ensuring a comfortable start to your journey.
- Train Tickets: Travel in style with included train tickets for your journey from Ollantaytambo to the trek’s starting point and your return from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo.
- Expert Bilingual Tour Guide: Explore the Inca Trail and the magnificent Machu Picchu with confidence, guided by our professionally licensed bilingual tour guide.
- Entrance Fees: Access to both the Inca Trail and the awe-inspiring Machu Picchu is included in your package, ensuring a seamless and enjoyable visit.
- Bus Tickets: Effortlessly travel from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes and back by bus, providing you with comfortable transportation options.
- Safety and Comfort: Travel worry-free with a comprehensive first-aid kit, including emergency oxygen, ensuring your well-being throughout the journey.
- Aguas Calientes Accommodation: Unwind and recharge in comfort at our carefully selected hotel in Aguas Calientes, offering you a relaxing retreat.
- Round-Trip Bus Tickets: Conveniently access Machu Picchu via round-trip bus tickets, allowing you to focus on the breathtaking experience.
- Train Journey (Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo): Enjoy a comfortable and scenic return journey to Ollantaytambo via train, ensuring a smooth transition.
- Return to Cusco: After your unforgettable adventure, we’ll arrange your return from the train station to your hotel in Cusco, making your journey complete.
Not included in 2-day Inca Trail tours
- Breakfast on the First Day: Begin your day with breakfast according to your preferences, whether at your hotel or by exploring local dining options.
- Lunch on the Last Day: After your remarkable visit to Machu Picchu, lunch on the last day is not included, allowing you flexibility in your dining choices.
- Wayna Picchu Entrance Fee: If you wish to explore Wayna Picchu, please note that the entrance fee is not included. Availability may be limited, so consider purchasing it in advance if desired.
- Tips and Personal Expenses: Plan for tips and any additional personal expenses during your journey. Tipping practices and recommended amounts can be discussed with your guide for guidance.